Friday, August 26, 2011

Things are better here. I've been trying to stay busy, which helps. A few weeks back my sister in law and I worked on cleaning out my mother in law's garage so that she'll have room to pull her car in this winter. It still needs some work but we made really good progress. In the process of cleaning everything out I came across the hat I knit for Chuck. It stung. For now I've put it in my cedar chest. If the day comes when the sight of it doesn't make my chest ache then I'll unravel it and reknit it into a hat for myself, Jim, or Lilly. But the idea of unraveling it right now seems almost disrespectful. And too final.

Some of what I've been working on:


Beekeeper's Quilt



Hat and cowl



Trellis sweater



Crazy novelty scarves for Christmas (This stuff feels like fur, it's nuts. I kind of want to make a blanket out of it and wrap myself up like a burrito.)



Dishtowels



Burp cloths



Socks for the husbeast



Chevron Love Hat

The State Fair was a pretty major disappointment this year. My Trellis did take a first, and Lilly's Roo sweater placed 3rd. But the other 4 entries didn't place at all and this sweater dress:


Nova, was disqualified because the judge believed it was machine knit, not hand knit. And the judge noted it was "Perfectly made." I've contacted the fair to voice my frustration and disappointment. And despite being told my message was sent to the Director of Home and Family Arts I haven't heard back from anyone.

I am upset because I feel that I've essentially lost out on a ribbon, I mean something that's 'perfectly made' should get a ribbon, right? But what I'm really upset about is being accused of cheating. This was my 6th year entering the fair and it may be my last. I pay $30 to enter and if the person judging my knitting can't tell the difference between hand knitting and machine knitting then maybe my abilities are beyond what can be judged at the State Fair level.

It sucks though, because I look forward to it every year. I love telling people to look for my items in the display cases. But I'm not going to pay money to be upset like this again.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:16 PM

    Wow! Kara, you're a robot. I'm sorry that happened, but it's super-impressive that you knit like a machinebot. i just pulled the scarf you made me last fall out for this fall and have it ready to wear. it's so hot. so sexy hot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you like your scarf. I tried to pick out yarn with colors I thought you would like.

    ReplyDelete