Monday, January 03, 2011

The almost traditional New Year's cold stirkes again

So, it's 2011. Let's hope the fact that I have a nasty cold, sore throat, and a cough that makes me sound like a pack-a-day smoker, isn't a sign of things to come.

I managed to actually knit four Christmas gifts this year. The previously blogged long, cabled mittens and the green and gray tasseled fez were two. But I also finished a very cute stocking cap for my nephew.


Modeled by my lovely assistant Lillian


Yes, modeled in the master bathroom. It's got the best lighting of any room in the house.

And, drum roll please.....



I finally finished mom's shawl. That was supposed to be 2009's Christmas gift. Oops.

I also managed to finish a baby sweater on New Year's Eve, which is currently blocking on top of my washing machine. When it's dry Lilly has volunteered to let me use one of her dolls for a photo shoot.

My plan for this year is to try and finish the few projects I have on my needles right now. Which isn't really bad. I've got 4 WIP's right now: a sweater for Lilly, a stuffed Tardis (yes, you read that correctly), a Clapotis scarf in doubled laceweight, and The Green Nightmare. I'm ashamed to admit the latter project has been a WIP since 2007. The Clapotis? Since 2008. 3 out of 4 aren't even for me, which might be why they are stalled. I'm working on Lilly's sweater, then I plan to tackle the Tardis and Clapotis. The Green Nightmare only needs the edging so maybe, just maybe, I can finish it this year.

I've decided that I want to learn more kitchen skills this year. For Christmas I made cinnamon rolls from scratch for the first time (with yeast and everything!) and toffee. Which my mom promptly requested "more of". I also learned how to make homemade vanilla extract. Which is nothing more than vodka and vanilla beans. This year I want to make liqueurs. I have the recopies for two that I think I'm going to start this weekend.

I also want to learn to sew this year. I want to make the husbeast a Star Wars quilt. And maybe matching curtains too.

No comments:

Post a Comment