Monday, November 08, 2010

I'm starting to like this whole 'no school' routine

So I finished some mittens. For the Twi-hards out there, yes, they are "Bella's mittens" from the first movie. You know, the truck scene...where Edward pushes her out of the way, stopping the van from crushing her with his bare hands, saving her life....*sigh* Oh, uh. Yeah.


I didn't have a red apple...so green had to do.


Close of up of the cabley goodness.

They aren't for me though, they are a Christmas gift for my 13 year old die-hard niece. Though I might end up making myself a pair. I like the long cuffs on them a lot.

My internship is going really well. Even though working 6 days a week takes a toll on me. But I'm learning a lot and making valuable connections so the lack of rest will be worth it in the long run.

Even though I feel busy I've still got more free time than I've had in years. The time off from school has mentally done me a world of good. It was only going to be a year but now it's going to be two. I simply cannot afford to take the GRE right now, especially this close to Christmas. ($160 for a test, it's stupid.) Plus, in all honesty, I really think I could prepare better for it. I'm hoping to take it in the spring and then this time next year start applying for graduate programs. And maybe I'll be able to squeeze in a couple more internships in that time.

As upset as I was at first about putting a master's degree on the back burner, I'm not so frustrated about it now. Yeah, it sucks to think about the fact that by the time I get around to applying for a program I could already have my MA. But at the same time I'm not really wasting this break. I'm still learning a lot, though it doesn't count towards academic credits, plus I'm reading a lot more, and still knitting too. No night classes means I'm home every night with my kid, another big plus, and I'm a less frazzled, stressed mom too.

I still want a master's degree, I'm just not in a rush to get it anymore. After all, the bachelor's took me 7 years to complete, if nothing else I've earned a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment