Thursday, March 01, 2012

I'm happy to report that I made it through Girl Scout Cookie season unscathed. I volunteered to be the cookie mom for my daughter's troop this year and despite a couple hiccups I think it went really well. The troop's sales far exceeded what we expected, which is wonderful. The sales per girl average was 137 boxes, and we were so close to getting shirts (average has to be 150 boxes per girl for that) but maybe next year we'll hit that mark.

My husband started his new job this week. And for the first time in a decade he won't be working in the construction field. There's nothing at all wrong with that line of work, it just wasn't where his heart was. He finally got on with an agency that will allow him to do what he really wants, to work hands-on with kids. He's working with some children from really bad situations and I think it's going to be incredibly rewarding for him.

I am so proud of him. And so happy for him. I am so relieved that someone finally gave him the chance to prove that he is meant to do this kind of work.

My job search still isn't going well. But I'm holding out hope that something wonderful is right around the corner for me too. I did get a little raise at work, around 3%, so that does help. But unfortunately not enough. I'm going to have to start paying my student loans back eventually and I need to be earning more in order to do that.

I'll have been at my current job for 9 years in June. It feels like a lifetime and I'm having mixed emotions about leaving here. I'm excited at the prospect of something new, but I will genuinely miss some of my coworkers. (Some, not all.) ;)

On the knitting front I've been working on a really pretty shawl. It's the Thistle Shawl (Ravelry link). I started it years ago but put it aside because it's not really charted out. The repeat is, but it's not charted like a pattern typically is and it was a bit overwhelming for me. So I charted it myself and I'm slowly chugging away at it.

Even on the needles, in all it's lumpy, unblocked beauty, it's gorgeous to me.


Three center Thistles completed out of the recommended seven.



And a closeup of the thistle.


So that's what I'm working on. Hopefully I'll have it finished and blocked soon.

Completely unrelated, but I've been having terrible migraines lately. Much more often than normal. And not the kind I've normally experienced where I have sensitivity to light and sound. No, there are migraines that start in my face, in my sinuses, and radiate out. Honestly, I'm not sure if they technically are migraines, but it's the closest approximation I can come up with for the pain. It feels like someone is sticking a screwdriver into my face. It makes the roots of my teeth hurt and the pain gradually increases until I feel nauseous. Horribly nauseous, like the slightest movement is going to send me into violent retching. I'm hoping to get to the doctor soon so I can figure out what the hell is wrong with me. And hopefully put my semi-hypochondriac fears to rest that there's a golf-ball sized tumor in my sinus cavity, intent on eating my face from the inside out.

2 comments:

  1. kara! what is up with these migraines? are you ok? I am THRILLED about jims new job! Congratulations on that front and with the successful girl scout cookie goings-on! That's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been in to the doctor yet, but I think it may be a side effect from having my wisdom teeth out years ago. I'm thrilled about Jim's job too, and hopefully a new job will happen soon for me too.

    ReplyDelete